The Faculty of Nuclear Sciences and Physical Engineering (FNSPE) was established in 1955 in frame of the Czech nuclear programme. Gradually, it increased its scope to a broad spectrum of mathematical, physical and chemical areas. Traditionally, it offers a high level university education with deep mathematical and physical foundations and an individual approach to its students. From the construction point of view, the faculty is barrier-free. Thanks to its technical equipment, it also enables university study of visually impaired students. Students are actively contributing to work of departments and scientific teams. They will learn at least two world languages. They become familiar with computer technologies and are capable of very quick orientation in interdisciplinary problems. Many of them attend study programmes at universities abroad. They leave the faculty broadly prepared and they are highly successful in practice. X
Here, you can find, where we are located, and how to get to us. Here, you can find also contact and invoicing information.
Go to Contact
Departments and Workplaces
Faculty is divided into ten departments and several scientific workplaces. Information about departments and contact information can be found here.
Management and Academical Authorities
Here, you can find a list of individual faculty authorities and management members.
Dean’s office is a service unit of the faculty. It looks after running of the whole organisation.
Go to Dean’s office
People - Contacts
Here, you can find the telephone directory of all FNSPE employees. You can also find out, in which room they are located.
Go to People - Contacts
Official Notice Board
Here, you can find all establishing documentation and other information that must be disclosed by the faculty in compliance with the law.
Go to Official Notice Board
Faculty of Nuclear Sciences and Physical Engineering with unconventional profile and teaching methods was established in 1955. This was the beginning of the era of peaceful uses of nuclear energy in international scale. When the first nuclear explosions at the end of the world war the second demonstrated real possibility of releasing the nuclear energy and mankind started to seriously accept Einstein relation between energy and mass, it became obvious that international coordination of nuclear research is really needed. First international conference on nuclear energy was organised by United Nations in 1955 in Geneva. Czechoslovak professionals participated at this conference actively. Use of the nuclear energy in our country was very tempting, especially due to lack and disadvantages of other energetic resources, other economical and ecological aspects as well as due to our rich resources of uranium. Did you know that the first radioactivity was detected using the pitchblende from Jachymov village?
In 1955, the Commission for Atomic Energy was established in the former Czechoslovakia, Nuclear Research Institute in Rez near Prague was founded, which was founded by reactor and cyclotron, as well as other nuclear institutions. To prepare professionals in this field of expertise a decision was taken to establish a special nuclear faculty at the Charles University in Prague. Medium technical personnel was began to be trained at nuclear technical college. Faculty of Technical and Nuclear Physics (FTJF) was established by government order dated 25th August 1955. Educational activities started on 6th September 1955. It became “sister” faculty of the previously established Faculty of Mathematics and physics of the Charles University in Prague. Since then, both faculties cooperate with each other very closely.
The first dean of the new faculty was Vaclav Petrzilka, who had an experience in the nuclear research from abroad. Originally, the faculty had three departments: nuclear physics, nuclear chemistry and nuclear engineering. Nuclear chemistry and dosimetry was represented by Frantisek Behounek, who was a student of M. Curie, while nuclear engineering was represented by Bohumil Kvasil, who was a specialist at physical electronics, an later by Jaroslav Nemec, who was a lead specialist in the field of material properties.
Soon, it became obvious that nuclear technology is not only a matter of nuclear fields, but that it needs close link with natural sciences, mathematics, physics and chemistry, with technical expertise, as well as a new, higher level of engineering in mechanical, electrical and construction fields. So, the faculty became an interface of our traditional two universities, Charles University and Czech Technical University, as a faculty with physical engineering character. By government order dated 12th August 1959, the faculty was transformed from Charles University to Czech Technical University and became its fourth faculty. This happened before the first students graduated, so they were awarded the engineering titles at the end of their studies. The faculty was consequently renamed to Faculty of Nuclear Sciences and Physical Engineering (FNSPE). In 1967, some of the leading faculty teachers with specialisations in mathematics, theoretic and nuclear physics, which are considered to be all natural sciences, went back to Charles University and the faculty strengthen its engineering character.
Gradually, four main directions of teaching crystallized at the faculty: Mathematical Engineering including Software Engineering, Nuclear Engineering focused on physics and technology of nuclear reactors and dosimetry and Physical Engineering specialised at Physical Electronic, Solid State Engineering and study of material properties, and last but not least Nuclear Chemistry Engineering. Since the very beginning, the faculty participated on postgradual education, currently called doctoral studies, and on enhancing the professional qualification of usual engineers that work in modern areas of research and practice.
Gradually, faculty profiled itself according to examples of foreign physical engineering universities and faculties either in the former Soviet Union as well as in Western countries and built its education activities on bases of natural sciences, mathematics, physics and chemistry. This enabled the graduates to orient themselves in newly established fields of engineering practice, where the physical knowledge were begun to be applied. Therefore, the faculty prepares engineers for work in such fields that currently do not exist.
Number of faculty students and its graduates fluctuated in the history, but in the last few years the interest to study at the faculty is high. In general, study at the faculty is relatively difficult and all the students are treated individually. After mastering the basics of mathematics and physics they are introduced to independent research work. Connection of teaching activities with creative work of students has always been one of the main characteristics features of the faculty. Nowadays, students have an opportunity to get acquainted with education and research abroad through extensive contacts and cooperation that were established and are maintained by the faculty with foreign universities and institutions.
The share of scientific research work of the faculty was always significant and faculty represented in fact a research institute. It collaborated with engineering practice using mathematical solutions to solve technical problems, developing new physical methods of measurement, monitoring and modelling, developing new technologies such as lasers, semiconductors, technologies for physical, chemical and material experiments in the field of space research and biomedicine. School nuclear reactor commissioned in 1990 is a unique device to monitor the physical processes in the active zone and perform experiments in neutron physics. It is used for education of professionals in nuclear energetics as well as to show this interesting area of technology to public and young students.